We preserve natural habitats in southeastern Connecticut by acquiring and protecting lands and communicating the value of these irreplaceable resources.
Avalonia Land Conservancy, founded in 1968, is a land trust dedicated to conservation through the acquisition of open space. It is a non-profit, non-political, tax-exempt organization. We believe that the conservation of natural resources for the benefit of people and wildlife is essential and will ensure healthy and livable communities for generations to come.
Avalonia now conserves 4000 acres of land, preserved in perpetuity. Where appropriate, trails are maintained for passive enjoyment including hiking, birdwatching, nature study, and photography.
Avalonia depends almost entirely on volunteers and contributions to maintain preserves and to fund operations. Avalonia’s volunteers and members work tirelessly and give generously to conserve our local natural resources for the common good.
The Director of Development and Programs (DDP) supports the mission, projects, and day-to-day operations of Avalonia Land Conservancy. The DDP reports to the president of the board of directors and works in close collaboration with the board. We seek a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience in relationship-building, fund-raising, managing and leading volunteers, who will communicate effectively with current and potential members and donors, and cultivate a culture of openness and commitment to Avalonia’s growth, stability, and sustainability.
- Fund and Membership Development
- Coordinate all fund-raising activities and donor development.
- Manage and utilize the donor management system to increase and track donors, and provide accurate and timely reports to the board and the Development Committee.
- Actively seek out and engage with major corporate and business donors.
- Promote and expand the membership base and individual solicitations.
- Engage the assistance of the board of directors in fund development.
- Support grant process as appropriate.
- Recruit new volunteers.
- Assist with community programs that increase awareness of Avalonia.
- Work with town committee chairs to ensure programs/activities are organized, communicated and executed.
- Administration and Operations
- Supervise office staff.
- Oversee all incoming donations and corresponding acknowledgements, and donation-tracking in the database.
- Participate in developing and managing the strategic plan; implement new processes, systems and approaches to achieve its success
- Financial Management
- Provide input towards the development of the annual budget in coordination with the treasurer, Finance Committee and the board of directors.
Accomplish the fundraising goals set by the board of directors.
- Board of Directors and Standing Committees
- Attend board of directors’ monthly meetings.
- Meet with the board president as necessary.
- Consult with and provide assistance to the board and standing committees, as necessary.
- Represent Avalonia professionally in the community and promote public understanding of Avalonia and its work.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other land trusts.
- Establish and maintain relationships with outside businesses and organizations.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of Avalonia and be guided by its mission. Additional qualifications:
- Ability to work independently, with minimal oversight.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in
- Fundraising and development
- financial management/budgeting, and
- administrative and operational leadership
- Strong relationship-building skills.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
Send all inquiries to Dennis Main, President, Avalonia Land Conservancy firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to PO Box 49, Old Mystic, CT 06372
Avalonia Land Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected class.